You’re standing there. Your eyes are searching your child’s body, seeing a strange rash that has taken over his entire stomach, back, legs, arms, and face. You’re stumped. The only thing you can think to do is to put him in the bath to soothe his skin the best you can.
All moms have been there in some way or another, working against the mysterious illness or irritant that we’re desperate to cure for our children. We go through a process of elimination in our heads. What did he eat? What did he touch? Who did he play with? WHAT?!
That was me a few months ago. I couldn’t figure out why my son, who had never been allergic to anything before, was suddenly breaking out in full body hives.
It turned out that he randomly developed a skin allergy to our laundry detergent, which was so surprising to me since I’ve always used scented detergents in the past with no bad effects. These things do happen though, and it did for us. Of course, it happened to us after an epic laundry day of washing all the towels, bedding, and all of my son’s clothes. I had to rewash everything, so that was a bummer. But it was a good lesson for me because I never thought toxins or chemicals would ever affect us, and honestly, I thought using all natural products was mostly hype.
That’s when I had an ‘I’m a Mom’ moment. I realized that these toxic chemical cleaners and detergents really had no place in my home. My super resilient boy was no match for these irritants, and so I made the switch to cleaning more naturally. Since our switch, my home is just as clean, but without the smell of chemicals. My kid’s skin feels great and doesn’t bother him, and I know I’m doing my part for the environment.
But best of all, I don’t have to worry about whether or not my child will have painful hives all over his body because I know what we’re using is safe and natural for him.
This post is part of BlogHer's My 'I'm a Mom' Moment editorial series, made possible by Seventh Generation.